Order Everything You Need to Start Growing
Wheatgrass From Thunder Acres Today!
All-Natural, Non-GMO Wheatgrass
Wheatgrass (sometimes also called cat grass) is the early form of wheat, and it has been eaten by animals and people for a long time. The plant contains a number of nutrients, including calcium, iron, Vitamins A, E, C, K, and B6. Whether you want to grow wheatgrass for the purported health benefits for yourself, or you want to provide your cats with access to a safe plant, the wheatgrass/cat grass seeds from Thunder Acres make it easy to grow this wonderful supergreen right in your home! All of our wheatgrass seeds are grown on our family farm in Kansas, so you can buy with confidence.
What You Need to Start Growing Wheatgrass at Home
At Thunder Acres, we wanted to provide everyone with a fast, simple way to grow wheatgrass in their home. So when you order a few bags of our wheatgrass seed, remember to pick up the following items to make your grow a breeze! We’ve included links to the items we carry here in our online store, but finding the other items is as easy as visiting your local gardening store.
- 2 growing trays
- Growing trays with drain holes
- Growing trays without drain holes
- 1 brick of coco coir *
- Organic fertilizer
- A spray bottle
*Fun Fact: Coco Coir is made from the fibers from the coconut shell. It is a peat moss alternative and is much better for the environment because it does not lead to the destruction of peat bogs.
How to Grow Wheatgrass
- Place 1/3 of the coco coir in a pan or bucket and add water.
- If you aren’t able to get the brick divided into 1/3’s, that is okay, but it’s important to understand that the coir is going to expand up to 8 times its size.
- Take 2 tablespoons of the organic fertilizer and mix into the coir. You can also spread the fertilizer along the bottom of the tray before adding the coir in.
- Use your hand to make sure the coir is completely moist and spread across the bottom of the tray.
- When it comes to the wheat seed it is not necessary to soak the seed but if you do it will speed up germination by up to a day.
- Take the seed and spread it out evenly on top of the coir. We recommend using half the bag of seed. You can customize the amount of wheat seed based on your preferences.
- Add a very thin layer of coir over the top of the wheat seed.
- Place the other tray over the top to create a humidity dome.
- Use the spray bottle to keep the coir moist but not to the point where there is standing water.
- You will need to water every other day.
- Once the seeds have sprouted, take the 2nd tray off in order to provide sunlight for the sprouts.
- By day 10 your wheatgrass should be ready for harvesting. Cut near the base of the seeds using scissors.
- You can also transplant some of the wheatgrass into another container if you want to provide your cat with access to fresh cat grass!
Now that you know how to grow wheatgrass, make sure to place your order from Thunder Acres! We’ve been a family farm located in the “The Wheat State” of Kansas for almost a century.
In addition to offering wheatgrass seed for sale, we have a variety of seeds and other plant products, including rye seed, catnip seed, wheat straw, hedge apples, and more! Check out the rest of our online store to find what you’ve been looking for.